Do you ever experience pain in your jaws or muscles in your face or headaches? Then this problem with your jaw and muscles in your face that control it are known as temporomandibular disorders (TMD).
Dentists believe symptoms arise from problems with the muscles of your jaw or with the parts of the joint itself.
Injury to your jaw, or the muscles of your head and neck can lead to TMD. Other causes include:
- Grinding or clenching your teeth, which puts a lot of pressure on the joint
- Movement of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the joint
- Arthritis in the joint
- Stress, which can cause you to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth
TMD often causes severe pain and discomfort. It can be temporary or last many years. It might affect one or both sides of your face.
Common symptoms include:
- Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joint are, neck and shoulder, and in or around the ear
- Lock jaw in the open or closed mouth position
- Clicking, popping or grating sounds in the jaw joint while opening or closing mouth
- Tired facial muscles
- Trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite
- Swelling on the side of your face
- Other problem like- toothaches, headaches, neck aches, dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus) might also be present
Dr. Kamala has been specialised in treating such difficult cases of TMD by various world renowned dentists. She does thorough evaluation of the jaw, joint and muscles and then after taking complete records formulate a customised treatment plan followed by a full coverage CR splint for the patient which helps in relieving the pain and discomfort.